West Bengal is a state of Eastern India, And the capital of the state is Kolkata which is also known as “cultural capital of India” There are quite some famous Temples in West Bengal. Which are,
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple :- The temple was founded by Rani Rasmoni in 1855. The temple is located in Dakshineswar near Kolkata and situated on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River. It’s a Hindu Bhavatarini temple, an aspect of Kali.
- Belur Math :- The temple was founded by Swami Vivekananda, the chief disciple of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa in 1935. It is located at Belur in Howrah district on the west bank of Hooghly River. And this is the temple of Sri Ramakrishna.
- ISKCON Temple :- The headquarter of International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) is situated at Mayapur in WB.
- Baba Taraknath Temple :-The temple was constructed by Raja Bharamalla in 1729 at Tarakeswar which is the city of Hooghly district in WB. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva worshiped as Taraknath.
- Kalighat Kali Temple :- The Kalight temple is the temple of Hindu God Kali Mata, which was situated at Kalighat in Kolkata. The present structure of kalighat temple was completed in 1809.
- Birla Mandir :- The Birla Temple of Ballygunge, Kolkata was built by the ‘Birla’ family in 1996. The temple was started to built in 1970 and took 26 years to be finish. This is the temple of Radha & krishna.
- Tarapith Temple :- One of the most famous temple in West Bengal is Tarapith Tara Ma Temple. It is the one of the oldest temple situated at tarapith near Rampurhat In Birbhum.
- Hanseswari Temple :- Hanseswari is the temple of Hindu God Siva & Sakti located in Bansberia at Hooghly. The temple was started to built by Raja Nrishinghadeb Roy but completed by his wife Rani Shankari in 1814.
- Adyapeath Temple :- The Temple of Adya Ma was built by Sree Ananda Thakur in 1969.
- Joy Mitra Kripamoyee Kalibari :- The Temple is situated at the bank of Hooghly River at Barangar in North 24 Pargana. The temple was founded by famous Jamndar Jayram Mitra in the year of 1848.
- Rasmancha :- Its a historical Pyramid shape temple, Which was commissioned by the Mallabhum king Hambir Malla Dev in 1600 CE. The temple is located at Bishnupur, Bankura.
- Madan Mohan Temple :- The famous Lord krishna temple of Coochbehar situated at the heart of Coochbehar Town. The temple was constructed by the king of Coochbehar Maharaja Nripendra Narayan.
- Dhirdham Temple :- The Nepali style temple is a Hindu temple of Lord Shiva located at south of the Darjeeling market center. The temple was built by Purna Bahadur Pradhan (Rai Saheb) in the year of 1939.
- Japanese peace pagoda :- The Peace Pagoda shows the four avatars of Lord Buddha. It is the tallest free standing structure of Darjilling, located at the town of darjilling. The temple was built under guidance of Nichidatsu Fujii (A Buddhist monk from Japan and founder of the Nipponzan-Myōhōji Buddhist Order). at 1972.
- Shyamrai Temple :- Shyam Ray Temple is one among the temples of Bishnupur. It is also known for the Terracotta carvings. Shyam Ray Temple is one of the stuctures built by the Malla rulers in West Bengal.
- Calcutta jain Tample :- The temple was built by a Jain named Rai Badridas Bahadoor Mookim in 1867 and dedicated to Parshwanath, who was the 23rd Jain Tirthankar and he is worshipped by the Jains. This is one of the most important Jain temples in Kolkata. The place is famous all over that is why devout Jains from distant parts of India flock to the Temple precincts all round the year.
- 108 Shiv Mandirs :- Is located in Kalna in Purba Bardhhaman district. Built-in 1809 by Maharaja Teja Chandra Bahadhur, the temples were constructed in two circles. One consists of 74 temples, whilst the other has 34. The former has white marble and black stone shiva lingas, whilst the latter comprises white marble shivling.
These are the history of some famous temples in West Bengal which are unique in structure and stands for centuries. Thousands and thousands of people use to visit these places every year for the love & faith in god they have.